Grassroots Empowerment Grants
NYUJ provides impact grants to grassroots 501(c)3 organizations and individual activists who are leading New York forward through criminal justice reform advocacy. The maximum award for this cycle is $2500. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
- Applicants must be registered 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations or individual advocates with a demonstrated history of criminal justice reform advocacy, community organizing, and/or legislative changemaking.
- Applicants must be led by and/or highlight directly impacted communities and voices in their work.
- Applicants must be engaged in the movement for criminal justice reform in New York State.
- Applicants must complete the application process below, including explicitly stating the purpose and intended use of any funds received through this granting program.
- Applicants must report on the use of their grants through the process described when the grant is awarded.
- Development and distribution of public education materials and messages about the criminal justice system and why it must change.
- Development and execution of public education events about the criminal justice system and reforms to it.
- Grassroots activities such as community organizing and in-person or virtual rallies that raise awareness about the system and the need for change.
- Travel within New York State for speaking opportunities, meetings, and advocacy events.
- Research and publications.
- Elevating the voices of directly impacted people to bring their stories to the attention of the public and policymakers.
- Lobbying activities and related expenses.
- Membership fees to outside organizations.
- Rent and other occupancy costs unrelated to specific grassroots events and activities.
- Personal expenses.
- Debt and debt service.
When To Apply
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, with a decision made within 60 days of receipt of a complete application. Only complete applications will be considered. Applications for this cycle of grants must be received by August 31st, 2021.
© 2020 New Yorkers United for Justice
New Yorkers United for Justice is a fiscal project of Dream Corps.
315 W 36th Street
New York, NY 10018